Associate Professor in Sociology of Illness and Medical Institutions
- 2003: PhD, University of Crete, Department of Sociology.
- 1997: B.A. University of Crete, Department of Sociology
- 1992: Diploma in Journalism, Laboratory of Professional Journalism of Athens.
- 2009-present, Lecturer, Assistant Professsor and from 2020 Associate Professor, Department of Sociology at the University of Crete.
- 2006-2008: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Sociology at the University of Crete.
- 2005-2006: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Social and Philosophical Studies, University of Crete.
- 2003- 2005: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Social Work, Technical Educational Institute of Crete.
Fields of academic and research specialization
- Sociology of Health and Illness.
- Sociology of Mental Health.
- Qualitative Methodology.
- Epistemology of Social Science.
- Health and Weal Fear Systems.
- Sociology of the Body
- Sociology of Sport and Leisure
- Tzanakis, M. (2008). Beyond of Asylum. The Community Psychiatry and the Question of Subject. Athens: Synapseis (in Greek).
- Tzanakis, M. (2012). Mental Ill and Modern Practices of the Self. Athens: Pedio (in Greek).
- Alexias, G., Tzanakis, M., Chatzouli, A. (Eds.) (2014). The body under supervision. Ethical and political dimensions of medical technology and care. Athens : Pedio, (in Greek).
- Liodakis, A., Tzanakis, M. & Tsourtou B. (Eds.) (2007). Art and Psychiatry. Athens: EPEKEINA/Focus On Health (in Greek).
- Papastefanaki, L., Tzanakis, M. & Troubeta, S. (Eds.) (2013). Exploring Social Relationships by Health Conditions and Diseases. The Social History of Medicine as a Research Field. Rethymnon: Department of Sociology-University of Crete, (in Greek).
Journal publications and Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Fragkiadaki, E., Triliva, S., Natsopoulou, O. & Tzanakis, E. (2019). From Social Workers to Socio-therapists: The Transformative Journey of Substance Abuse Therapists, Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions, 20(2) : 89-104.
- Tzanakis, Μ., Valasaki, M., Moraitou, M., Kelemen, G., Gavrila-Ardelean, M., Deloyer, J., Hanon, C., Hunstinx, N., Tournier, I., Vaseur-Bacle, S., Maes, C. & Fond-Harmant, L. (2019). Sociocultural and Organizational Dimentions of Mental Health Networks for Older Adults towards new Formations, Agora psycho-pragmatica, 13(1) : 55-63.
- Sools, An., Triliva, S., Fragkiadaki, Ev., Tzanakis, M. & Gkinopoulos, Th. (2018). The Greek Referendum Vote of 2015 as a Paradoxical Communicative Practice : A Narrative, Future‐Making Approach, Political Psychology, 39(5): 1141-1156.
- Tzanakis, M. (2016). La plongée sous-marine comme pratique de soi, Loisir et Société / Society and Leisure 39, (3) : 551-466. (in French).
- Tzanakis, M., Savvakis, M. and Alexias, G. (2016). Mastectomy and Voluntarism: From the Individualized Self to Solidarity Groups in Greek Women with Breast Cancer, in Wendell Armstrong (Ed.), Breast Cancer: Risk Assessment, Treatment and New Developments, New York: Nova Science Publishers, pp. 51-88.
- Alexias, G., Lavdas, M. & Tzanakis, M. (2015). “I do not allow myself to be harmed, it is a luxury; I have two children who need”: Remarks for planning an experiential research methodology in women who have undergone mastectomy due to breast cancer, Italian Sociological Review, 5 (1): 1-20.
- Alexias, G., Tzanakis, M. & Savvakis, M. (2015). Biographic Strategies of Greek Women with Breast Cancer: From the “Injured” to the “Contributing” Body, Sociology and Social Work, 2(1): 90-97.
- Tzanakis M. (2015). Body and Self in Scuba Diving. In Zaimakis, G. & Fournaraki, E. (ed.), Society and Sports in Greece. Sociological and historical approaches, Athens: Alexandria Publications, pp. 203-223 (in Greek).
- Tzanakis, M. (2014). Gérer son ‘soi souffrant’ : pédagogie d’autonomie et expérience psychiatrique, Socio-logos, http://sociologos. revues.org/2872.
- Savvakis, M., Tzanakis, M. (2004). The Researcher, the Field and the Issue of Entry: Two Cases of Ethnographic Research Concerning Asylums in Greece, Sociology Research on line, 9(2).
- Serdedakis, N. Tsiolis G. Tzanakis, M. & Papaioannou, S. (2003). Strategies of Social Integration in the Biographies of Greek Female Immigrants coming from the Former Soviet Union. Self-employment as an alternative, International Review of Sociology, 13(1): 145-162.