Assistant Professor in Sociology of Illness and Medical Institutions
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
e-mail:tzanakism at uoc.gr
- 2003: PhD, University of Crete, Department of Sociology.
- 1997: B.A. University of Crete, Department of Sociology
- 1992: Diploma in Journalism, Laboratory of Professional Journalism of Athens.
- 2009-present, Lecturer, Department of Sociology at the University of Crete.
- 2006-2008: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Sociology at the University of Crete.
- 2005-2006: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Social and Philosophical Studies, University of Crete.
- 2003- 2005: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Social Work, Technical Educational Institute of Crete.
Fields of academic and research specialization
- Sociology of Health and Illness.
- Sociology of Mental Health.
- Qualitative Methodology.
- Epistemology of Social Science.
- Health and Weal Fear Systems.
- Tzanakis M., Beyond of Asylum. The Community Psychiatry and the Question of Subject, Athens, Synapseis, 2008. (in Greek).
- Tzanakis M., Mental Il and Modern Practices of Self, Athens, Pedio, 2012. (in Greek).
- Liodakis A., Tzanakis M. & Tsourtou B. (Eds.), Art and Psychiatry, Athens, EPEKEINA/Focus On Health, 2007. (in Greek).
- Papastefanaki L., Tzanakis M. & Troubeta S. (Eds.), Exploring Social Relationships by Health Conditions and Diseases. The Social History of Medicine as a Research Field, Rethymnon, Department of Sociology-University of Crete, 2013. (in Greek).
Journal publications and Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Tzanakis M., “Sociological Idealism and Psychiatric Realism”, Psychiatric Texts, Vol. 77, 2002, pp. 7-16. (in Greek).
- Serdedakis N. Tsiolis G. Tzanakis M. & Papaioannou S., “Strategies of Social Integration in the Biographies of Greek Female Immigrants coming from the Former Soviet Union. Self-employment as an alternative”, International Review of Sociology, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2003, pp. 145-162.
- Tzanakis M. & Savvakis M., “The places as Historical and Cultural Contra-Examples and Symbols of Social Limits: Spinalonga and Leros”, Social Science Tribune, Vol. 36, pp. 87-126, 2003. (in Greek).
- Savvakis M., Tzanakis M., “The Researcher, the Field and the Issue of Entry: Two Cases of Ethnographic Research Concerning Asylums in Greece” Sociology Research on line, Vol. 9 (2), 2004.
- Savvakis M., Tzanakis M., “Biographical Disruption and Institutionalization: Constitutional and Narratives Aspects of a Social Process”, Social Science Review, Vol. 120, 2006, pp. 37-64. (in Greek).
- Tzanakis M., “Techniques of the Body, Techniques of the Self: The Ethic Dimension of Chronic Illness”, Utopia, Vol. τ. 72, 2006, pp. 67-80. (in Greek).
- Tzanakis M. & Savvakis M., “The Researcher Self as Source of Knowledge in Qualitative Research”, in Papaioannou S. (Eds.), Question Question of Theory and Method of Social Science, Athens, Kritiki, 2007, pp. 120-138. (in Greek).
- Tzanakis M., “Transformation of Subjectivity in Every Day Life: The Psychiatric Reform in Greece as Undertaking of Reconceptualizing of Subject”, in Papaioannou S. (Eds.), Question of Theory and Method of Social Science, Athens, Kritiki, 2007, pp. 120-138. (in Greek).
- Tzanakis M., «The problematic of feminization of Caring in community Type of Psychiatry Services», in Papageorgiou G. (Eds), Gender Transofmation, Rethymnon, University of Crete, 2007, pp. 249-263. (in Greek).
- Tzanakis M., «Mental Illness as a Social Experience. The Sufferer Himself at the Post-asylum Psychiatry Era of Greek Psychiatry», στο Οικονόμου Χ, Σπυριδάκης Μ. (επιμ.), Sociological an Anthropological Approaches of Health, Athens, Sideris, 2012, pp. 237-263. (in Greek).