Professor in Sociology (Social Sciences Research Methods and Gender Studies)
University of Crete – Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
e-mail:papageo at uoc.gr
Office hours: to be announce with the beginning of the teaching classes
- B.A.: Political Sciences Panteion University, Athens, Greece, (1974) and Northeast Missouri State University, Kirksville, MO, USA (1974-1976).
- Μ.Α.: Sociology, University of Missouri- Columbia, MO, USA. Thesis: “Τhe Assimilation of Greeks of North Florida in the American Culture”, major Professor: George Primov (1978).
- Ph.D.: Political Sociology, Florida State University, Florida, USA. Dissertation: “Political Involvement of Greek Women: A Statistical Analysis of Sociodemographic, Ecological and Attitudinal Relationships”, Major Professor: Scott Flanagan (1985).
- Research Fellow:
- 1999: London School of Economics, London, UK.
- 2000: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ. USA.
- 2009: Iowa State University, Ames, IA. USA. and University of Iowa, IA, USA.
Teaching & Academic Positions
- Since 1991, she teaches Sociology at the University of Crete. Recent course topics include: Methods of Social Research (quantitative / qualitative); Feminist Research methods; Gender and Politics, Gender and the State; Feminist Movement; Gender, Race and Class.
- She is Director of the “Gender Research and Education Center”, Department of Sociology, (2003-present) and former Head of the Department of Sociology (2010-1012);
Fields of academic interests and research specialization
- Social Science Research Methods (quantitative and qualitative, Mixed),
- Gender Studies (Feminist movement, feminist theory and research, feminism and Politics, feminism and the State)
- EU Directives related to Gender and their transposition to Greece.
- Political Culture
Α. Books /Monographs
- 2010: Gender and Research, Athens: Gutenberg publishers (in Greek)
- 2010: Researching Gender in Greece, (editor), Athens: Gutenberg publishers (in Greek)
- 2006: (editor), “Gendering Transformations” (editor), Hrakleion : e-media University of Crete (in Greek and English)
- 2004/ 2006: Hegemony and Feminism. Athens: Typothito (in Greek)
- 1998: Methods in Sociological Research (editor), Athens: Typothito (in Greek)
- 1994: Academic Orientation and Professional Satisfaction of Greek women Scientists (Monograph), Panteion University – Ministry of Research and Technology (in Greek).
- 1993: Women in Politics (Monograph), Foundation of Mediterranean Studies (in Greek)
Β. Articles / chapters in edited volumes
- 2012: “Gender expectations and state inertia: The case of Greece” στο Yvonne Galligan (ed.), Deliberative Processes and Gender Democracy: Case Studies from Europe, ARENA Report No 1/12, RECON Report No 17. http://reconproject.eu/projectweb/portalproject/Report17_GenderDemocracy.html.
- 2011: “Gender and Intra- Party Discourse” in Sklias, G. (edit.), Development, Leadership, Society, Athens: Sideris publications, p.p. 215-223.
- 2009: “State Feminism in Greece” in Psilla, M. (edit.), Gender and Public Space” , Athens: Typothito, p.p. 35-69 (in Greek).
- 2009: “The Quantitative Research in Chicago School”. Chapter in Tatsis, N. and M. Thanopoulou (2009), The Chicago School and its Methods, Athens: Papazizis , pp. 167-184 (in Greek).
- 2007: “La dote in Grecia” (Dowry in Greece), in Itinerari d’impresa , 3 (11), Rome (in Italian).
- 1999: «The Status of Greek Professional Women at Work». In Dent M. O’Neill M. and Bagley C. (eds.), Professions, New Public Management and the European Welfare State, Stoke-on-Trent: Staffordshire University Press, pp. 157-166, (in English).
- 1998: «Feminist Critique of Traditional Scientific Research and its Alternative Proposition”. Chapter in Methods in Sociological Research. Papageorgiou, Y. (editor) Athens: Typothito, pp. 119-142 (in Greek).
- 1997: “Attitudes and Perceptions of 30 Greek women Politicians concerning the women’s position in Society”. In Lambiri-Dimaki (editor), Sociology in Greece today: 1988-1996, volume B, Athens: Papazizis, pp. 353-360 (in Greek).
- 1993: “Women’s Political Protest”, In Sociological Research in Greece Today, Athens: ΕΚΚΕ, pp. 441-453, (in Greek).
- 1992: “Τhe Women’s Movement and Greek Politics”. In Bystydzienski Jill (ed), Women Transforming Politics: Worldwide Strategies for Empowerment, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp. 67-79 (in English).
- 1990: “Obstacles to Women in Politics: The Case of Greece” European Studies Journal, No. XV, January, pp. 150-158 (In English).
- 1988: “Conventional Political Involvement of Greek Women”, Journal of Political and Military Sociology, Vol. 16, No 1 (Spring), pp. 31-41 (in English).