Professor in Sociology ( Development and Environment)
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
e-mail:kousis.m at uoc.gr
Office hours: to be announce with the beginning of the teaching classes
The Greeks, the Germans, and the Crisis [GGCRISI] Program
- 1979 B.A. La Salle University (Sociology and History, cum laude)
- 1980 M.A. University of Michigan (Sociology)
- 1984 Ph.D. University of Michigan (Sociology)
Teaching & Academic Positions
Since 1987, she teaches Sociology at the University of Crete. Recent course topics include: Environmental Sociology; Environmental Movements; Society and Bioethics; Social Research Methods.
She is former Chair of the Department of Sociology (2002-2006), former Director of Graduate Studies in Sociology (2004-08) and Vice Director of the MSc program in Bioethics at the University of Crete (2010-2012)
Fields of academic interests and research specialization
- Environmental sociology and environmental politics
- Social movements, with an emphasis on the environmental movement
- Bioethics and social movements
- Political and socio-economic dimensions of sustainable development
- Social change in southern Europe and Mediterranean regions
- Tourism, rural areas
- Research methods, with an emphasis on protest event/case/claims analysis
- Kousis, M., T. Selwyn and D. Clark (eds) (2011, in print) Contested Mediterranean Spaces: Essays in Honor of Charles Tilly, New York: Berghahn Books.
- Kousis, M. (2010) “New Challenges for 21st century Environmental Movements: Agricultural Biotechnology and Nanotechnology”, In M. R., Redclift and G. Woodgate (eds) The International Handbook of Environmental Sociology (2nd edition), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Kousis, Maria (2009) “Turismo mediterraneo e iniciativas ambientales de ONGs en el siglo XXI” In, Cambio Climatico y Turismo: Realidad y Ficcion University of Valencia Press (in Spanish).
- Kousis, M., D. Della Porta and M. Jimenez (2008) “Southern European Environmental Movements in Comparative Perspective” American Behavioral Scientist. Special issue Mediterranean Political Processes in Historical-Comparative Perspective, guest eds. C. Tilly, R. Franzosi and M. Kousis, volume 51(11):1627-1647.
- Kousis, M. and C. Tilly (eds) (2005) Economic and Political Contention in Comparative Perspective. Boulder, Colorado: Paradigm Publishers.
- Eder, K. and M. Kousis (eds.) (2001) Environmental Politics in Southern Europe: Actors, Institutions and Discourses in a Europeanizing Society, Dordrecht: Kluwer.