Professor of Political Sociology of the Modern Greek State
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
e-mail: samatasm at uoc.gr
Biography and Research Interests
Minas Samatas holds an M.A. and Ph.D. in sociology from New School for Social Research, Graduate Faculty, NYC, USA , and a Diploma from the Economic & Political Science Department of Aristotle University of Salonica. PhD Thesis : “Greek Bureaucratism: A system of sociopolitical control” (1986). Currently: Professor in the Sociology Department, University of Crete, Greece.
Political sociology, Greek State & Society, Information Society, Internet (Cyber) Sociology, Surveillance Societies, Post-authoritarian South European Societies, Olympic Games Surveillance, Graduate Sociology Students.
- Surveillance in Greece: From Anticommunist to Consumer Surveillance Pella, N.Y. 2004
- The Super-Panopticon Scandal of The Athens 2004 Olympics and its Legacy, N.Y. Pella, 2014
- Facets of New Surveillance: International and Greek approaches, Vivliorama Athens 2010 (in Greek).
- SURVEILLANCE AND DEMOCRACY, coedited with Kevin Haggerty, Routledge, Oxon UK, 2010.
Selected Publications on Surveillance:
- “Security and Surveillance in the Athens 2004 Olympics: Some lessons from a troubled story” International Criminal Justice Review, September, 2007 Vol.17(3) pp.:220-238.
- “From Thought-Control to the Traffic-Control: A comparison of traditional and new surveillance” in Surveillance and Governance: Crime Control and Beyond. Edited by Deflem, Mathieu , Volume 10, Sociology of Crime, Law, and Deviance, Amsterdam: Elsevier 2008, pp.345-369.
- “The Greek Olympic phone tapping scandal: A defenseless state and a week democracy, in Surveillance and Democracy, edited by Haggerty, K. & M. Samatas, Routledge, 2010, pp. 213-230.
- “Surveilling the 2004 Athens Olympics in the Aftermath of 9/11: International pressures and domestic implications” In volume Security Games: Surveillance and Control at Mega-Events, edited by Colin J. Bennett and Kevin D. Haggerty, Routledge, 2011, pp. 55-71.
- “European ‘Securitization’ policies and the Southern ‘Fortress-Europe” in volume Contested Mediterranean Spaces: Essays in Honor of Charles Tilly edited by Kousis Maria, Selwyn Tom & Clark David Berghahn Books , 2011, pp. 35-54.
- “Surveillance Legacy, Modernisation and Controversy in Contemporary Greece” στο Crime & Punishment in contemporary Greece: International comparative perspectives, edited by Cheliotis L. K. & Xenakis S. , Peter Lang, Oxford, 2011 pp. 421- 442.
- “Surveillance in Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008: A comparison of the Olympic surveillance modalities and legacies in two different Olympic host regimes” URBAN STUDIES, November 2011.
- “The SAIC-Siemens ‘super-panopticon’ in the Athens 2004 Olympics as a case of ‘McVeillance’: The surveillance-industrial complex’s unscrupulous global business” in The surveillance-Industrial Complex: A political economy of surveillance, edited by K. Ball and L. Snider, Routledge, 2013, pp 61-77.
- “Austerity Surveillance” in Greece under the Austerity Regime (2010−2014) Media and Communication (ISSN: 2183-2439) 2015, Volume 3, Issue 3, Pages 68-80 Doi: 10.17645/mac.v3i3.301