Associate Professor in Mass Media Sociology
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
741 00 Rethymno, Greece
e-mail:chrkon at uoc.gr
B.A. Sociology (Maitrise): – University of Toulouse Le Mirail – France
PHD of Sociology – Panteion University (1998)
- From 14th of Dec. 2007: Assistant Professor in Mass Media Sociology
- 2002 – Dec. 2007: Lecturer, Department of Sociology at the University of Crete
- 1999 – 2002: Adjutant Lecturer, Department of Sociology at the University of Crete
- 1993-1998: Postgraduate Assistant – Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences Athens Greece.
Media Sociology, Visual Culture, Discourse Analysis, Reception Theory, Social Construction of Reality, Social Semiotics, Violence and Crime in Mass Media, Gender Studies, migration studies, social exclusion.
- 1992a. “Journalistic principles and values”, Theoria kai Koinonia, vol. 6, pp. 213-254 (in Greek)
- 1992b. “Representation of gender relations in the press: empirical studies”, Sychrona Themata, 48, pp. 87-98 (in Greek).
- 1999: “Societal Representations of Crime. The Criminality of Albanian Immigrants in Athens Press”, in A. Koukoutsaki (ed.) Images of Crime, Athens, Plethron (in Greek).
- 2001, “Societal Representations of Crime. The Criminality of Albanian Immigrants in Athens Press”,in H.-J. Alberecht, A. Koukoutsaki, T. Serassis (επιμ.) Images of Crime, Representations of Crime and the Criminal in Science, the Arts and the Media, Max-Planck, Freiburg, pp. 93-130.
- 2002. «Mass Media and the Production of Meaning. Theoretical Approaches and Perspectives», in Epitheorisi Koinwnikwn Ereunwn, part one, vol. 108-109, pp. 139-188. (in Greek)
- 2003a:. «Mass Media and the Production of Meaning. Theoretical Approaches and Perspectives», in Epitheorisi Koinwnikwn Ereunwn n,, (part two, vol. 111-112, pp. 193-265. (in Greek)
- 2003b: “The study of a “social problem”: The representation of violence and crime in mass media”, Sychrona Themata, vol. 82, pp. 33-44. (in Greek)
- 2006: “The issue of media literacy in historical perspective: From the passive receiver to the active performer”, Zitimata Epikoinwnias, vol.4, pp. 18-40. (in Greek)
- 2006: «The political identity in the age of globalization. The ‘anti-globalization’ movement in Greek press”, Elliniki Epitheorisi Politikis Epistimis, vol. 28, November, pp. 51-84. (in Greek)
- 2007: «Death, lamentation and the photographic representation of the Other during the Second Iraq War in Greek newspapers», International Journal of Cultural Studies, volume 10:2, σελ.147-166.
- 2007: “Feministic approaches of the mass media. From certainty to a theoretical and methodological embarrassment”, Elliniki Epitheorisi Koinonikon Erevnon, issue B/123, pages 79-112. (in Greek)
- 2008: “The spectacle of suffering and death. The photographic representation of war in Greek newspapers”, Visual Communication, vol. 7(2), February, pages 143-169. (in English)
- 2007: «Gender in the magazine “Epsilon” supplement of the Greek newspaper “Kyriakatiki Eleftehrotypia”, Conference Proceedings, International Conference, The Gender in Social Sciences: Gendering Transformations, 12-15 May 2005, University of Crete, pp. 135-151. (in Greek)
- 2010: “Text, Context and Gender in the Media Studies”, in Proceedings of the Conference Methods of Investigating the Social Gender, 5-6 October, University of Crete, Departments of Sociology, History and Archaeology, Philosophy and Social Sciences, Panepistimioupoli Gallou, Rethymno – Crete, 2007, pages 29-52. (in Greek)
- 2010: “Chapter 13: Analysis of documents, Analysis of written text and image”, in Advanced Methods of Educational Research, Nicosia, Open University of Cyprus. (in Greek)
- forthcoming: Christina Konstantinidou & Martha Michailidou, “Foucauldian discourse analysis. Photography and social construction of otherness in Greek national press: The immigration issue”. Στο David Machin (editor) Visual Communication, Berlin, De Gruyter.
- forthcoming: «Mikgration and crisis in Greek Press” in Stella Zabarloukou (ed.) Crisis and Society, Athens, Pedio.
- 2001. Societal Representations of Crime. The Criminality of Albanian Immigrants in Athens Press, Athens, Ant. Sakkoulas (book, in Greek).
- 2010: Photography – Meaning – Context. Constructing otherness in Josef Koudelka’s «Gypsies», Athens, Nissos. (in Greek)
- 2011: Visual culture and social inequalities. The war photographs, Athens, Futura. (in Greek)