Assistant Professor in «Social Inequalities and Social Rights»
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
741 00 Rethymno, Greece
Office hours: Wednesday, 13.00-14.00/ Thursday: 17.00-19.00
- PhD, School of Law, Birkbeck College, University of London, ‘Tracing the Encounter of NGOs, Human Rights and Social Movements in the 1970s: Campaigning for Soviet Dissidents during the Cold War’
- MA (Film and History), University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
- MRes (History and Civilization), European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- BA in History, Dept. History and Archaeology, Department of History and Archaeology, Faculty of Humanities, National University of Athens
- 2022: Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, School of Social Sciences, University of Crete
- 2017 onwards: Adjunct Lecturer, MRes Social Solidarity Economy, Hellenic Open University, module ‘Social Movements, the State and Social Solidarity Economy’
- 2020-21: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Sociology, School of Social Sciences, University of Crete
- 2019-20: Research Associate, Open Lab, School of Computing, Newcastle University, UK
- 2017-19: Junior Research Fellow/Marie Curie (MSCA) COFUND Fellow, Department of Geography, Durham University, UK
- 2016-17: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Sociology, School of Social Sciences, University of Crete
- 2015-16: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Centre on Social Movement Studies, (COSMOS), Department of Political and Social Sciences, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- 2011-13: Research Fellow, Cultural Pluralism Research Area, Robert Schuman of Advanced Studies, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- 2010 -12: Research Fellow, Migration Research Area, Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy, ELIAMEP, Athens
Social Solidarity Economy and the Commons
- Mobilizing for Democracy: Democratization Processes and the Mobilization of Civil Society (ERC) (postdoctoral researcher, 2015-16)
Migration and Social Integration
Technosocial Infrastructures and Inequalities
Selected Publications (for more see CV)
- Kouki, H., della Porta, D., Mosca, L., Fernandez, J., 2017, Movement Parties against Austerity, London: Polity Press.
- Kouki, H., A. Triandafyllidou and R. Gropas, (eds)., 2013, European Modernity and the Greek Crisis, New York: Palgrave, 2013 (translated in Greek, Athens: Kritiki, 2013).
- Kouki, H. and E. Romanos, (eds)., 2011, Protest Beyond Borders, Transnational Approaches to Social Mobilization in Europe since 1945, New York: Berghahn Books.
- Kouki, H. and Z. Vidra (eds)., 2015, Special Issue: ‘Forms of Intolerance in Europe today’, Journal of Immigration and Refugee Studies, 12(4).
- Kouki, H. and V. Makrygiani (eds)., 2023, Special Issue: ‘Spaces of Digital Care: Epistemological, Theoretical and Empirical Insights’, Digital Geography and Society (in progress).
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Kouki, H., Arampatzi, A. and Pettas D., 2022, Re-thinking Solidarity Movements as Infrastructure during the COVID-19 pandemic crisis: Insights from Athens, ‘Social Movements and Covid19: Dynamics, Challenges and Strategies’ (special issue), Social Movement Studies (forthcoming)
- Kouki, H., Vlachokyriakos, V. and Ntouros, V. 2021, Designing Sharing Economy Platforms through a ‘Solidarity HCI’ Lens. Proc. ACM, Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing 5, CSCW1, Article 23 (April 2021).
- Kouki, H. and A. Chatzidakis, 2020, Implicit Feminist Solidarity(ies)? The Role of Gender in the Social Movements of the Greek Crisis, Special Issue ‘Feminist Solidarities’, Gender, Work and Organization, 28(3): 878-897.
- Kouki, H., 2020, Introducing Ethics of Care in Humanitarianism, International Journal of Health Policy and Management (IJHPM), doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2020.14
- Kouki, H. and A. Triandafyllidou, 2015, Naturalizing Racism in the Centre of Athens in May 2011: Lessons from Greece, Journal of Immigration and Refugee Studies, 12(4): 418-436.
- Kouki, H. and A. Liakos, 2015, Narrating the Story of a Failed National Transition: Discourses on the Greek Crisis, 2010–2014, Historein, 15(1): 49-61.
- Kouki, H. and R. Mantanika, 2011, The Spatiality of a Social Struggle in Greece at the Time of the IMF, City, Analysis of Urban Change, Theory, Action, 15(3-4): 482-490.
- Kouki, H. 2022., Gender, Social Movements and Social Solidarity Economy, in Zaimakis, G. and Nikolaidis, E. (eds), Social Solidarity Economy, ΚΕ.ΚΑ.PER. (forthcoming)
- Kouki, H. 2019, Transformations in Party System and Collective Action during crisis: Syriza’s trajectory (2010-2015), in Serdedakis, N. and S. Tompazos (eds), Social Movements and Collective Action during Crisis, Athens: Gutenberg, pp. 107-134.
- Kouki, H. & Kornetis, 2015, From the Centre to the Periphery and back to the Centre: Social Movements Changing Theory in Greece, in G. Accornero and Ol. Fillieule (eds.), Social Movement Studies in Europe: a State of the Art, New York: Berghahn Books, pp. 371-387.