Professor in Sociology of Local Societies and Culture
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
e-mail:zaimakis at uoc.gr
Office hours: to be announce with the beginning of the teaching classes
Degree in Sociology, Degree in Social Work. PHD in Department of Psychology (Panteion University)
- Teaching in Technological Institute of Crete, Department of Social Work (1993-1998 and 2004-2013)
- Lecturer in Department of Social Administration- University of Thrace (1999-2003)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Crete (2004-2010)
- Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Crete (2011 and onwards)
- Teaching in Open University of Greece (2012-2013)
- Leisure, youth culture, politics and music movements
- Popular culture and rebetiko
- Social history of sport, communities and cultures of football fans
- Locality and social economy – multicultural communities and identities
- Urban transformation, social change and everyday life culture in the city
- “Music-making in the social world of a Cretan town (Heraklion 1900-1960): a contribution to the study of non-commercial oral rebetika”, Popular Music (Cambridge Publication), 30 (1): 1-24, 2011.
- «The ‘forbidden fruits’ and the communist paradise: Marxism, rebetiko and the “purity” of popular song», Music and Politics 4 (1): 1- 20, 2010.
- «Bawdy Songs and Virtuous politics’: Ambivalence and Controversy in the Discourse of the Greek Left on rebetiko», History and Anthropology 20(1), 15-36, 2009.
- Football and fan communities: contestations and politics of identity, Athens: Plethron, 2013, (co-editor with N. Kotaridis), 2013.
- Community work and local societies: developmentt, collective action and multiculturalism, Plethron, 2011( first edition Ellininka Grammata, 1992.
- “Flourished dens”: Deviation and cultural creation in Lakkos of Heraclion (1900-1940), Plethron, 2009 ( 1st edition 1999)
- Social protection network in vulnerable groups and multicultural societies (co-editor with A. Kandylaki), Kritiki, 2005