University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
E-mail: elfou at uoc.gr
Office hours: to be announce with the beginning of the teaching classes
- B.A. in History, Department of History and Archaeology, University of Athens (1981)
- M.A. (D.E.A.) in History, University Paris 7 (1984)
- Ph.D. (Nouveau Doctorat) in History, University Paris 7 (1992)
- 1995-1999: affiliated to the University of Crete, Department of Sociology, on a contractual basis for the teaching of Social History
- 1999-2013: Assistant Professor in Modern Social History, Department of Sociology, University of Crete
- 2013 and onwards: Associate Professor in Modern Social History, Department of Sociology, University of Crete
- 2009 and onwards: Member of the group of Editors of Aspasia – The International Yearbook of Central, Eastern and South Eastern European Women’s and Gender History, Berghahn Books, New York – Oxford. (http://journals.berghahnbooks.com/asp/index.php?pg=editorial)
- Since 22 May 2013: Director of the MSc Programme “Sociology” of the Department of Sociology (the tenure of this office is two years).
- Women’s and gender history
- Social history of education – Education and the construction of gender difference
- History of women’s collective action – History of the gendered formation of the public sphere and of citizenship
- Social history of physical education, sport and bodily culture
- “Three Decades of Women’s History in Greece: An Account”, Aspasia – The International Yearbook of Central, Eastern and South Eastern European Women’s and Gender History, v. 7 (2013), pp. 162-173 [together with Y. Yannitsiotis)
- Sport, Bodily Culture and Classical Antiquity in Modern Greece, Routledge: London / New York 2011 (co-editor: Zinon Papakonstantinou), [reproduction of the special issue / annual historical review of The International Journal of the History of Sport, 27/12, August 2010]
- “Bodies that Differ: Mid- and Upper-Class Women and the Quest for ‘Greekness’ in Female Bodily Culture (1896-1940)’, in Eleni Fournaraki – Zinon Papakonstantinou (eds), Sport, Bodily Culture and Classical Antiquity in Modern Greece, Routledge: London / New York 2011, pp. 49-85.
- «Genre et éducation physique en Grèce du XIXe siècle : aspects idéologiques d’un nouveau champ pédagogique (1850-1900)», Etudes Balkaniques – Cahiers Pierre Belon 11 (2004), pp. 93-124.
- “The Olympism of the Ladies: The International Olympic Events in Greece (1896, 1906) and the Ladies’ Journal”, in Christina Koulouri (ed.), Athens, Olympic City, 1896-1906, Athens: International Olympic Academy, 2004, pp. 333-376.
- “‘Wherefore deprive her of the vote?’: Universal male suffrage and the exclusion of women from politics in nineteenth-century Greece”, Mnimon 24 (2002), pp. 179-226 [in Greek].
- “Educating “decent mothers” and instructing “the future citizens”: Gendered discourses in nineteenth-century Greek education”, in V. Theodorou – V. Kontoyanni (eds), Proceedings of the colloquium: The child in modern Greek society, nineteenth and twentieth centuries: Values, representations, impressions, Athens: Democritus University of Thrace/Faculty of Educational Sciences – Greek Literary and Historical Archives, 1999, pp. 73-120 [in Greek].
- Girls’ education and training: Greek discourses (1830-1910) – An anthology, Athens: Historical Archives of Greek Youth / Youth Secretariat, 1987 [in Greek].