Assistant Professor in Sociology (Social Transformations in Contemporary Rural Space)
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
Office hours: to be announce with the beginning of the teaching classes
Education – Teaching -Research Interests
Eugenia Petropoulou (female) is Lecturer in Rural Sociology at the Department of Sociology, University of Crete, Greece. She acquired her Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Manchester, UK specialising in Rural Sociology while she holds an MA in Sociology and Social Policy from the University of Durham, UK. She started teaching Rural Sociology at the University of Crete the years 2003-2006 as an adjunct lecturer and since 2011 as a permanent lecturer at the University of Crete, Department of Sociology. She has been working as a researcher and research associate in different EU-funded projects. Her recent research and writing (both Greek and English) have focused on Rural Transformations, Agricultural Policies, Environmental degradation, Farmers’ Perceptions on bio-energy crops, short food supply chains as an alternative dimension of development during times of crisis and on the construction of qualitative interview guidelines and analysis.
- Mantziaris, S., Iliopoulos, C. Theodorakopoulou, I. and Petropoulou, E (2017) Perennial energy crops vs durum wheat in low input lands: Economic analysis of a Greek case study, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 80, pp.789-800.
- Petropoulou, E.A. (2017) «Is this the end of consumerism?», in E. Manolas (ed.). Environmental Sociology, Athens, Gutenberg Publishing (in Greek).
- Petropoulou, E.A. (2016) Aspects of ecological marginalization and alternative local responses in rural Greece, IN Social Ecology, Journal for Environmental Thought and Sociological Research, vol.25, no.1-2, pp.121-141.
- Petropoulou, E. and V. Petousi (2016) «Agriculture and women’s health: investigating the relationship, findings and proposals on the international bibliography and research, IN Koniordos, S.M. (ed.), Proceedings of the 5th National Conference of Greek Sociological Association (ΕΚΕ), The Greek Society at the Crossroads of Crisis – Six Years Later, (10-12 December 2015, Athens, pp. 546-556, (ISBN: 978-960-9596-03-9).
- Petropoulou, E.Α (2016) «The role of local food supply chains in Greece. What opportunities for sustainable, just and democratic food systems at times of crisis?», Sociology and Anthropology, vol. 4, no.5, pp. 337-346.
- Petropoulou, E. (2015) «Poverty and environmental degradation: the case of a rural community in Southern Crete», in G. Nikolaou and K. Kotsis (eds.), Environment-Geography-Education, Honorary Volume for Emiratus Professor, A. Katsikis, PEDIO publishing, pp.457-476. (in Greek)
- Petropoulou, E. (2014) «Permanent Crisis in a Lowland Community of Southern Crete», IN S. Zambarloukou and Kousis, M. (eds), Social Aspects of the Crisis in Greece, Athens: Pedio Publisher, pp. 171-198. (in Greek)