University of Crete
Department of Sociology
74100 Rethymno Greece
E-mail: amouzakid at uoc.gr
Angelos Mouzakitis holds a degree in Sociology from Panteion University, Athens, Greece. He conducted his postgraduate studies in the U.K. under the auspices of the Greek State Scholarships Foundation and earned an MA in Philosophy and Social Theory (with Distinction) and a PhD in Sociology, both from the University of Warwick. His doctoral thesis, Meaning, Historicity and the conceptualization of the Social is a study on Heidegger, Gadamer and Castoriadis. Apart from his native Greek, he is proficient in English, has sound knowledge of French and basic knowledge of German and Italian.
- 1999-2002: he has been teaching on both undergraduate and postgraduate levels for the University of Warwick, the Open University in the UK and the University of Central England.
- 2003-2004: He was Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute, in Florence, Italy.
- 2004-2013: He has been teaching under fixed-term contracts at the University of Crete, the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki, and the University of Patras.
- 2004 – to the present, he teaches for the Hellenic Open University
- During the academic year 2010-2011 he taught (in English) an intensive undergraduate course on perceptions of time and history for the philosophy department at the Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt, in Austria.
Fields of academic interest
- social theory with an emphasis on social ontology, social change and the constitution of the ‘subject’.
- Epistemology of the social sciences with an emphasis on phenomenology and hermeneutics
- Αssociate Editor, Frontiers in Sociology, Section Sociological Theory (Chief Editor, Professor William Outhwaite).
- Member of the Editorial Review Board of the “Social Imaginaries” series by Rowman & Littlefield.
- Member of the Hellenic Sociological Association.
- Member of the European Sociological Association.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the “Centre d’étude et de recherche appliquée en Psychopédagogie perceptive (CERAP)” directed by Professor Danis Bois, Fernando Pessoa University, http://www.cerap.org/chercheur/angelos-mouzakitis).
- Meaning, Historicity and the Social. A critical approach to the works of Heidegger, Gadamer and Castoriadis, August 2008, Dr. Mueller Verlag.
- Gerard Rosich and Angelos Mouzakitis (Guest Editors), The Struggle over World-Interpretation(s) and Progress Revisited. Festschrift for Peter Wagner, Social Imaginaries, Vol. 4, Issue 1, July 2018.
- “Autonomy and Authenticity/ On the aporetic nature of time and History: Castoriadis- Heidegger”, in Critical Horizons, Vol.7, no.1, 2006, p. 277-301.
- “Worlds emerging: approaches to the creation and constitution of the common”, in Peter Wagner and Nathalie karagiannis (eds.) Varieties of World-making. Beyond Globalisation, Liverpool University Press, 2006.
- “Radical Finitude meets Infinity: Levinas’ gestures to Heidegger’s fundamental ontology”, in Thesis Eleven, νοl. 90, 2007, p. 61-78.
- “What is Knowledge? Castoriadis on Truth, Signification and Symbolism”, Cahiers Castoriadis, n. 6 Castoriadis et la question de la vérité, Bruxelles: Publications des Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis, 2010.
- “Chaos and Creation in Castoriadis’ interpretation of Greek Thought”, in Ingerid Straume και Giorgio Baruchello (eds.) Creation, Rationality and Autonomy, NSU Press, 2013.
- “From narrative to action: Paul Ricoeur’s reflections on history”, in Rethinking History: The Journal of Theory and Praxis, online access since April 2014 at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13642529.2014.901654.
- “The Social-historical”, in Suzi Adams (ed.), Castoriadis, Key-Concepts, Bloomsbury, 2014.
- “Creation ex nihilo”, in Suzi Adams (ed.), Castoriadis, Key-Concepts, Bloomsbury, 2014.
- “Modernity and the Idea of Progress”, in Frontiers in Sociology (section Sociological Theory), March 2017, published online (http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fsoc.2017.00003/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Sociology&id=229407
- “Political Imaginaries: A Preliminary Response”, Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 9 (8): 33-40. https://wp.me/p1Bfg0-5hb, 2020
- “Autonomie, Heteronomie, Demokratie: Andersheit durch Kritik” (translated from English by Maurits Heumann), in Agridopoulos, Aristotelis και Sörensen, Paul (eds). Imagination – Autonomie – Radikale Demokratie: Cornelius Castoriadis’ politisches Denken, kultuRRevolution. Zeitschrift für angewandte Diskurstheorie, nr. 71, 2 (2016), 17–22.
- “Autonomins trassliga rötter” (The tangled roots of autonomy) in Res Publica, n. 58, 2003, p. 44-53. (translated from English by Professor Mats Rosengren)
- Angelos Mouzakitis has also published several articles in Greek on Castoriadis, Heidegger, Gadamer, Ricoeur, Levinas, modernity and systems theory (for details on the Greek articles please see the Greek version of this website) .