Assistant Professor in “Political Sociology: Political Parties”
University of Crete
Department of Sociology
741 00 Rethymno, Greece
e-mail: alexakem at uoc.gr
B.Sc. in Law (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 1984), Diploma in Sociology (LSE, 1985), Ph.D (LSE, University of London, 1993)
- 1995-1999: University of Thessaly, Department of Primary Education, Π.Δ. 407/1980
- 1999-2000: University of the Aegean, Department of Geography, Π.Δ. 407/1980
- 1999-2002: University of Crete, Department of Political Science, Π.Δ. 407/1980
- 2003-2005: University of Crete, Department of Political Science, Adjunct Assist. Professor
- 2007-2009: University of Cyprus, Department of Social and Political Sciences, Visiting Assist. Professor
- 2010-today: University of Crete, Department of Sociology
- Political sociology and political parties
- State and civil society
- Political culture and political ideologies
- Social movements
- Conservatives and Ideology: The Case of the New Democracy Party in Greece, 1974-1998, Athens: Centre for Political Research, Paper 2, December 1998
- “Political parties and empirical research in Greece today: problems and prospects”, in Katsikidis S. (ed.), Social Phenomena: Analytical Approaches, Athens: Gutenberg, 2006, pp. 253-283 (in Greek).
- “One for himself and all against all: Construction of the public sphere, political culture and social conflict in Greece”, in Aspects of Contemporary Greek and European Society, Patras: Hellenic Open University, pp. 91-129 (in Greek).
- “The Conservatives”, in Featherstone K. & Sotiropoulos D. (eds), The Oxford Handbook on Modern Greek Politics, Oxford Handbooks, Oxford University Press, 2020, pp. 256-268.